Sunday 1 June 2014

Landed

What with one, thing and another, I seem to have been buzzing about a lot but now, at last, I’ve landed.   


It’s a long way off but one of my little tasks has been to investigate costume and wig provision for Crosby G & S Operatic Society’s production of ‘The Mikado’ in March, 2015!    The producer and I visited Charades in St. Helens www.charadessthelens.co.uk and decided that their set of costumes will definitely fit the bill – they are lovely and we know that the owner, Betty, will do us proud, as she has on past occasions.


In the middle of the month, we had a few days visiting our daughter and her family, in Holland.   It’s a long journey because, as well as the short flight, there is a long train journey from Amsterdam across to the eastern border to the town where they live.    As usual, it was lovely to see them – the grandchildren, of course, grow so quickly between visits and, as the weather was lovely, we spent quite  lot of time outdoors – mostly playing football with the children.   

The Photography Club had its last formal meeting of the season on 19th May – it was a competition night with an independent judge.   I was pleased that a portrait of mine won one of the categories – I don’t take too much credit, as the model (a members’ daughter) is so easy to photograph.   Although the Club’s season has ended, we will, as a group, go out together on some Monday evenings to take photos locally – let’s hope the weather’s kind to us.




The other photography group to which we belong went out into Ainsdale, a week or so ago and the weather was not very kind.   We were photographing motorbikes and had to dodge several quite heavy rain showers.   Luckily, motorbikes are meant to withstand the damp – cameras however, are not quite so resilient!

 









The usual Calidad Events Craft Fair www.facebook.com/CalidadEventsArtandCraftFairs  was held on 24th May and despite the showery weather, was quite well attended.   We didn’t enjoy our packing up though – it poured on us.


On the making front, I have completed 2 quilts; they took quite a long time to quilt but I really enjoyed doing it and I’m pleased with the results.   I also made a felt glasses case for one of the other stallholders who we regularly see at Lark Lane and he seemed very pleased with it.   I think I forgot to photograph it – Oops!
pink and green quilt
detail
Add caption



Liz and I and our husbands have just had a few days in Bruges, a really quaint and pretty walled, mediaeval town.  We were very lucky with weather there, it never actually poured on us – drizzled a bit on a few occasions, so we were able to do lots of exploring on foot.   We also visited Ypres and saw the the remains of some of the WW1 trenches.   It certainly brings home, better than any history book or written account, how ill equipped the soldiers were for surviving the  indescribably dreadful conditions they endured.    


At long last, I’ve added a couple of items to my website – it takes me a long time as I am still not very confident doing it.    There are now some prints and cards of photos I took early in the year at the Pier Head for sale – they all figure reflections of, and in, some of the iconic buildings there.   I really must try to add items on a regular basis.


Whoopee – today we’ve been informed that we have been accepted to have a stall at the Summer Arts Market at the beautiful St. George’s Hall, on 19th and 20th July.   It’s always an exciting event with lots and lots of different crafts represented.   I need to get going and make lots of new bits and pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment