Tuesday 18 February 2014

Stitch and hobby exhibition



We had a lovely day in Manchester at the Creative Stitches and Hobbycraft Event on 7th February, and really enjoyed it.      I didn’t spend too much – just some odd balls of yarn and a new lamp for my sewing machine.    There were an awful lot of card making and beading stalls which really didn’t interest me too much and not enough textiles!   However, we did attend a few talks – one by Jenny Rayment who, as usual, was very entertaining and one by Wendy Dolan who makes beautiful stitched landscapes.  We also met Ruth Brown from Stone Creek Textiles (www.stonecreeksilk.co.uk) and Kim Thittichai who was so busy we didn’t get chance to speak to  her– I wanted to tell her how much I enjoy her blog (www.kimthittichai.com)   next time perhaps. 

On 8th February we went to a brilliant concert by Maghull Wind Orchestra (www.maghullwindorchestra.co.uk) in Southport which raised over £3,000   for a local hospice.   What a lovely evening.  

The last 10 days has been a bit of a blur – my Operatic Society put on its annual Gilbert and Sullivan Opera for 5 nights and, as I’m wardrobe mistress as well as in the chorus, I was kept pretty busy.   My spinning wheel was used in the opening scene and so I had to make do without it for a whole week – strangely, I missed it but it’s home now and, after a few tweaks, has settled in and is working again – it doesn’t really like being moved.

The week’s performance went very well indeed and, apart from the vagaries of Merseyrail trains and the terrible gales on the Wednesday, everything went as planned.   All the costumes were collected on the last night and packed up ready to be collected, the scenery dismantled and carted away and then off to the party!   It’s taken me two days to straighten out the house, put everything away and bring order to the chaos I’d created whilst sorting out costumes.

Sample to be made into bag
collage to be mounted on canvas?
I have not been very creative since the last post but I have photographed the silk and satin pieces – one is going to be mounted on a canvas, I think, and the other one will be made into an evening bag.




Today, I went to Cedar Farm, Mawdesley to have lunch and catch up with a few friends from City and Guilds days which was lovely.



No comments:

Post a Comment