Tuesday 1 May 2012

Craft and Hobby Exhibition

I was so looking forward to the Craft and Hobby Fair at Aintree but was quite disappointed.   I had deferred my Mothers’ Day present to the show so that I could buy (yet another) a craft book but there were no booksellers there (there’s always one or two)!   Also, there seemed to be far fewer exhibitors and certainly there was nobody selling threads or quilting equipment – so I didn’t cross much off my list despite being there all day.   However, there were some very interesting displays by various groups and, although there were very few textile artists, some of my favourites were there – Jane Davies, Wendy Dolan, Valerie Hughes.   We also visited Felicity Howatson’s  stall (3 times) and went to hear her excellent lecture on machine embroidery on soluble fabric – I came home full of enthusiasm and inspiration.   Give me time and the results will appear!
kindle cover
kindle cover

i phone case

We were at the Craft Fair at Lark Lane on Saturday,  there were a lot of new craftspeople there as well as the ‘old hands’ who it was good to catch up with.   I took the new items which I’d made.   There were 18 hand painted silk bookmarks, a couple of kindle cases, a mobile phone cover, an evening bag , a felted book cover and a wall hanging.   We also took the 3 glasses cases  - two in the shape of fish (the heads forming the flap)  whose pictures are at the end of the blog.    Only the glasses cases and the wall hangings got much attention.   There were more people about than last month, apparently, although they weren’t spending much.   I am beginning to think that the recession is beginning to bite really hard now.  

I’m in the process of completing another book cover, needlefelted  this time and I’ve bought a supply of glittery ladder yarn to knit some cowls – I’ve finished one and hope to have another one or two finished this week in time for our visit to the Bikes and Barrows Festival in Scorton, Lancs.    We are really looking forward to our visit – we’ve been there a couple of times before – it’s close to the Trough of Bowland and is a lovely little village.    http://scortonvillage.com/#/whats-on-events/4548209297

No comments:

Post a Comment