Tuesday 2 July 2013

Music, Music, Music

Since I last posted, I have attended a felt jewellery workshop with Chris Branch who managed to cram lots of different techniques into quite a short time.   I came home with two corsages and the makings of some earrings and a bracelet.




Calidad Events Craft and Gift Fair on Saturday, 22nd June, could have been busier but as the weather turned out quite good, everyone went to Africa Oye in the park!


Last Friday,   Liz and I and a friend from when we did City and Guilds courses, set off up the M6 for Woolfest www.woolfest.co.uk in Cockermouth.   It was, as last year, a very wet day awful for Liz who did all the driving, Bless her!  We arrived at about 11.30  and, apart from a quick lunch and an afternoon cup of coffee, we were on the go till we started home at shortly after 4.30 p.m. exhausted but happy.   It was, as usual, exciting, exhilarating and inspiring.    We managed to resist the most extravagant spending, although, as well as replenishing my felting wool stock, and buying acrylic wax and some textile glue, I bought some scrim which is destined for nuno felting and treated myself to a couple of pieces of silk velvet in gorgeous shades of purple and sea green.  I have a couple of ideas for it but I’ll have to experiment first I think.
Since then, we've had a very musical three days - on Saturday practically the whole family turned out to see our eldest grandson playing percussion with Ormskirk Symphony Orchestra.    On Sunday afternoon, my husband and I sang in a concert at the Palm House in Sefton Park - that was interesting  - it's a beautiful building but, when the sun is shining, it gets extremely hot which isn't easy to sing in.    On Monday, we went to see number one grandson again, this time playing with Chethams School  of Music at the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester.   It was a bit of a nostalgia trip for us, as our younger daughter studied there and, in the nineties, we often went to performances there.   
Although I've been busy gadding about, I have been tying up loose ends and I’ve experimented with making felted soap.  The ladies from the Soap Empire www.thesoapempire.co.uk kindly donated some small bars of soap which I covered with merino wool so that they look like pebbles.    They were quite successful, but I’m not sure I’ll be making many more –I  didn’t find it terribly satisfying.   I did make a couple of pieces of felt for book covers and I’m hoping to finish them tonight.    I’ m making an effort to get some stock together for the Green Fayre at Beacon Park, www.westlancs.gov.uk on 20th and 21st  July where I’ll be demonstrating felt-making for the two days.   I’ve finished off about a dozen brooches and a similar number of hand painted silk bookmarks so far.  

No comments:

Post a Comment