Sunday 21 July 2013

Summer at last


Nearly three weeks since my last post – my only excuse is that I’ve been away yet again, and this time the weather was absolutely fantastic.   We’ve been to Pembrokeshire in the summer every year for about 31 years and never had such good weather.   We usually do quite a bit of  walking on the coast path, but this year it was so hot we had to sunbathe on the beach every day – what a chore!  Now I’m back, however, I’m itching to get going on some textile work – I’ve had my rest and now it’s time to get going again. 
 Before we went away, I made a bag and finished some covered books  in preparation for the Green Fayre at Beacon Country Park where we’ve been this weekend, me demonstrating felt making and Liz doing  everything else!  During the two days,  I made 5 pieces of felt which are destined to become pictures or book covers and some beads.   I really enjoyed the two days, - people were very interested in the process and I was surprised at the number of children who seemed mesmerised by the whole business and couldn’t wait to have a go.   Several people expressed an interest in attending a workshop or having a demonstration for their organisation or society so we’ll see what comes of that – I was quite surprised at how much I enjoyed the demonstrating aspect.    There was a lovely atmosphere, lots of people about and lots of interesting things to see and do, and the efficient and friendly Rangers did a great job of organising everything  - we’d certainly like to go again next year.
 


this is the book cover which sold


I sold a few odds and ends, mostly cards and the felt bracelet and earrings I made at the last workshop I attended and one of the covered books which I finished just before I went away.  I also got an order for a patchwork bag so I’ll have to get start that soon.   Liz had designed and made some really clever cards with initials on and a couple of them went too – it was the first time we had displayed them so that was very encouraging.
For next week, though, we’ll be preparing to go to the Summer Arts Market at St. George’s Hall in Liverpool – it’s on Saturday and Sunday and we’re really looking forward to it – the Winter Arts Market there in December is always a great event so let’s hope this will be as good.
The spinning and weaving are having to take a back seat at the moment but I can’t wait to get back to them, especially as I’ve been given 3 large bags of alpaca fleece which needs carding and spinning

No comments:

Post a Comment