Sunday 5 August 2012

Rain, rain, go away!


This week, like many other people in this country, I’ve been glued to television watching the Olympics so I haven’t been very productive at all.   I make the excuse that it’s only once every 4 years and won’t happen again in this country in my lifetime, so it seems a shame not to make the most of it.  

I did have one day when I made lots of jewellery using some of the beads I bought on holiday.   I think the total was 2 dozen pairs of earrings ,1 dozen necklaces/pendants and 6 handbag/phone charms.

On Saturday, we went to Bickerstock – a music festival in Bickerstaffe.   Luckily we were located in a marquee so, despite the teeming rain showers we were at least dry.    It wasn’t particularly busy for us but, among other things, I sold a felt covered sketch book which I was rather fond of and my favourite purple and pink felt scarf.   Liz sold a couple of bags and a pretty scarf.  However, I don’t think we’re music festival material, the noise levels increased as the day wore on and we were reduced to plugging our ears with paper tissues at one point!    We made our escape at about 5 o’clock with our ears ringing and our heads buzzing.

Today, we were again in a marquee at Knowsley Flower Show.    It all started very well, a lovely morning and the staff were very pleasant and even helped us unload.    The ground was quite wet when we arrived and, by the time we’d set up and  despite wearing strong walking shoes, we had wet feet.    I don’t know what time the rain really started to come down in bucketfulls but it was deafening on the canvas of the marquee.    Then the thunder and lightning started and the rain became even heavier – think Noah’s flood.    It seemed to go on forever, but the best was yet to come.   Suddenly, we realised that big pools were forming under our feet and  little rivulets were forming.   Then we noticed that, just above our heads, the canvas was beginning to sag ominously where a large volume of water had collected instead of running off.   Just as we were trying to decide on our best course of action, a member of staff arrived and ordered everyone to ‘abandon ship’ as the site was about to be closed due to flooding.    Forget women and children first, it was every man for himself.   I don’t think we’ve ever packed up as quickly (or as untidily).   We dashed for the car (that’s if you can actually dash and paddle at the same time) and crammed everything in as quickly as we could.   Getting off the site took ages, everyone, exhibitors, traders and visitors all trying to leave at the same time, some getting bogged down in the mud, but at least we were not getting any wetter.

Since coming home, I have unpacked, dried out and repacked.   If I am ever tempted to do an open air/marquee event again, I hope someone will remind me of just how risky it can be in terms of ruining all those lovely photographic prints and textiles and how very lucky we were to get back with everything intact.   And, if all else fails, remind me that were fortunate to not come home with trench foot!

No comments:

Post a Comment