Tuesday 13 August 2013

Not a good idea!

underwater after stitching added
underwater scene
 
I seem to have been quite productive this week – I’ve pressed on with a couple of the felt pictures I started at the Green Fayre and the ‘fishy’ one is finished ready for mounting.    



Also, when we were at the Green Fayre, someone bought a ‘one off’ bag with a strip patchwork picture on it.Her friend wanted one as well so I said I’d make a similar one. I’ve now finished the patchwork bit – it’s not identical, of course, but it’s similar – just got to make the bag now.


    



I've also made a felt mask, it is for a commission but, although it looks great, I’m not sure that the colour is what the customer wanted, so I’ll make another one and give her the choice between the two


I’ve done some cold water dyeing this week as well – the weather was warm and I like to do it in the garden  – I’m always frightened that I’ll dye the kitchen units if I do it inside.   I used two colours on various pieces of silk, scrim, muslin, cotton and polycotton - yellow and blue, so now I have a little stash of fabrics from yellow through to deep turquoise.  I also experimented with dyeing a small amount of fleece – it did work but, of course, the colours are much, much paler.
I had a sudden rush of blood to the head on Friday and decided to have a bit of a tidy up – it doesn’t happen often and now I know why.   I found several UFO’s (that’s unfinished objects) that had been tucked away for ages.  I vowed I wouldn’t put them back but that I’d finish them.   Not a good idea – because I realised that most were not finished because I hadn’t got the necessary ‘bits’ to finish them.   That  meant that I had to go to Abakhan on Saturday and buy all sorts of bits and pieces to complete them.   However, I’ve now finished two cushion covers and I’m on the way to finishing my first (and only) single bed quilt.   
I’ve only made small quilts before and didn’t realise that quilting a full size quilt is a bit of an undertaking – it’s heavy, bulky and like wrestling with a boa constrictor - I think I won but only by a whisker.  With a bit of luck, I’ll be able to bind it this week and have a photo for next time I post.   The other sundry items might take a bit longer to finish – there are lots of hexagonal patches which I made by hand so I haven’t quite decided what to do with them yet – they won’t end up as a full sized quilt, that’s for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment