Sunday 24 July 2011

Back again

Another holiday!  I've been away for a whole ten days in Pembrokeshire.   What a beautiful part of the country - the views from the coastal  path are spectacular - there a wildflowers in abundance and all manner of birds and insects to photograph.    The weather was a bit mixed,  but we didn't do too badly at all and I came back full of enthusiasm and ideas for things to make and do.   One one of the days that it poured down we went into Haverfordwest and I bough some fabrics to augment my stock of whites and creams for the quilt which is still ongoing.

On the other really awful day, I bought a drop spindle and a bag of fleece and set myself the task of learning to spin.   When it's pouring down there's not much else to do other than stay indoors, so it was a way of using the time profitably.   The first attempts were accompanied by a lot of grimacing, sighing and the occasional swear word but, by the end of the afternoon, I had about 20 metres of yarn - nowhere near perfect, but usable.   A couple of days later, when we came home from a walk early because of bad weather, I spun another 10 or so metres and that is much better, more even.   All I have to do now is to practise and then I have to teach myself to dye it.  

On the way home from Pembrokeshire we called in at a quilt exhibition at Llanidloes.   We have been there before and, as usual, the standard was amazing.   There were some beautiful quilts, both traditional and contemporary and several A4 sized, miniature quilts, which were very interesting.   I'm always inspired by the variety, the colours and the originality of the exhibition.   It really is worth seeing.  Perhaps I'll include some photos in my next blog.

Since I came home, I've been to the usual monthly Craft Fair at Lark Lane where I sold some cards and a bag among other things.   Today, we went look around at the Green Fair at Beacon Park (near Ashurst Beacon) where there were all sorts of things happening, as well as a craft tent.  I bought some beautiful rosewood buttons from a wood turner - I'll have to make something wonderful to use them on.    We also bought a beautiful plank of yew with rough edges - its drying slowly in the garage for the next 12 months or so and then, I think, we might make a little table from it.    We also met Margaret from the Soap Corner again, as well as Julie and Louise who generally have the table next to us at Fir Tree Farm, so it was a bit of a reunion!

The weather was really kind to us and we took lots of photos of the birds of prey, the viking reenactment and of the many dogs who were there.  We'll have to see what they're like when I eventually get round to downloading them - I haven't downloaded the hundred I took in Pembrokeshire yet!

I think next week is going to be very busy, we've got to blitz the garden, look after our grandchildren for a day, and generally catch up with ourselves as well as finishing off the felt for the diaries and starting on the new ideas.    Can't wait!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment