Sunday 22 May 2011

Aintree and Firtree Farm

It's only a week since my last post - aren't I getting good?   I can't promise this new me will last but I'm trying.   What's been going on this week?   First the cot quilt is making slow progress - only another four squares completed this week - I really do need some more fabric and I only managed to buy a piece of cream, cotton lawn at Aintree Craft and Hobby Show.   Still, the day was not wasted, I enjoyed meeting up with old friends and seeing some of the demonstrations that were on offer.   I saw part of a presentation by Wendy Dolan who does some wonderful textile pictures using cream/white natural fabrics as the basis and then painting and adding texture and, finally, machine embroidery.   Another Wendy (Cotterill) was kind enough to demonstrate how she prints on fabric using her inkjet printer.   She does some beautiful textile work and you can see some examples on http://www.lutrador.co.uk/.  

I also tried my hand at spinning with a drop spindle while I was at Aintree and I have to say I wasn't half bad - I was truly dreadful.  It's a bit like learning to drive you have to remember to do all sorts of different things at the same time - I was a source of great merriment to the expert and the other participants, not to mention the spectators who had the foresight not to volunteer!   I will master it though, I'm looking at a drop spindle on e-bay and I intend to learn to do it or die in the attempt.   Watch this space.    Having said all that, I have almost a metre of hand spun wool ( a bit slubby I'll grant) thanks to the patience and expertise of the demonstrator (whose name I forgot to note).

There was some great work on display by various textile and quilting groups but there wasn't a lot on offer for textile artists, plenty of cardmaking and jewellery suppliers but not nearly enough fabrics and fibres.    So, although I spent quite a lot of money, it was mostly on bits and pieces like vilene, machine needles, thread and other mundane items. 

Last Monday, at my photography club, we had a lecture from John Wells on 'Creative Photography' - it was brilliant - as well as being a very entertaining lecturer his prints (and there were many) were stunning.   He seems to take photos of anything and everything and although there are plenty of unmanipulated shots, he uses manipulation in a very creative way and produces some wonderful pictures.  I was inspired to get down to doing some more creative work this Summer.

On Saturday, we went to Firtree Farm, near Billinge, where there was also a Farmers' Market taking place.   We've been there before and, as usual, it was a very enjoyable experience - the other stallholders are a friendly bunch and varied crafts on offer.    It was quite busy and we sold a necklace,some prints, cards, a couple of brooches and several scarves so we were well pleased.    People were very appreciative of the mounted prints and I'm hoping to get a few orders through the website - we'll see.   Liz actually got a commission for a photo - I think she's still smiling....

No comments:

Post a Comment