Sunday 29 May 2011

Bank Holiday Weekend

Well, once again, it's only a week since my last blog - it won't last!  Another week flown by - where did that go?   I did some baby sitting on Wednesday and spent some of my time looking at textile websites on the internet - I've got lots more inspiration but not lots more time.  

A little, slow progress with the cot quilt - another 4 squares completed - that's 44 with 80 to go!   With the cream lawn I bought at Aintree,  I've made a top to send to my granddaughter in Holland, so the offcuts of that have gone into the quilt stash.  

On Friday, I made a couple more felt poppies which didn't turn out quite as expected but I'm sure that I can 'rescue' them.   This slight disappointment was compensated for by the felt maple leaf shapes which I made intending to make them into brooches.   I have experimented with stiffening the felt in various ways and by varying degrees and I am now trying to work out which is the most successful method.  I have yet to stitch into them,  and that might help me decide which method I like best.  Being able to stiffen the felt without altering the texture raises all sorts of other possibilities - hats, 3d objects etc.   Interesting!!!

Yesterday, I went to the Craft Fair at  Lark Lane.  I had to press my long-suffering husband into service (as Liz was away for a few days) - it is far easier when there are two of us who know what we're doing (well Liz does anyway) and I missed her.   A few 'old' faces turned up - two with new babies - and it was nice to see them again.   I sold a red, crocheted poppy made by Liz - her first foray into crochet - so that pleased her no end.    I sold a few bits and pieces and a couple of prints of local scenes so I will be reprinting them this week.  

Last week, I had an order for some large prints of the Iron Men by Antony Gormley and,  yesterday, I was asked by someone else to do three more large prints so I will have to get busy with them as well.

Today,  I went with my family to see one of my grandsons playing with Sefton Youth Jazz Band in Southport's Jazz Festival.   Thankfully, as they played in the Town Hall Gardens, the weather was kind to us - it was wonderful to see so many young, enthusiastic musicians - what a lovely way to spend a Bank Holiday Sunday.
My project, this week, as well as knitting some more scarves in preparation for our visit to West Derby at the weekend, is to make a fabric corsage out of soluble film, organza and machine embroidery.   Who knows I might even have some pictures of  it next week.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jill, I would have come to the Lark Lane event but unfortunately broke my leg badly in two places while walking in the Lakes a couple of weeks ago. This also means I haven't yet been able to take up your excellent advice on camera clubs and photo printing yet, so no progress is being made. At least being confined means I can swot up on photoshop techniques...
    Annie
    X

    ReplyDelete