Saturday 9 February 2013

Exciting Times


On Tuesday, Liz and I went to the Artshub 47 in Lark Lane, Liverpool, to deliver some items which we hope to sell there.    It’s beginning to take off and, as well as the workshop which was in full swing, we went upstairs to see the special exhibition for Valentine’s Day ‘LOVE@artshub 47’ – I hope it will be successful, it deserves to be!  As well as some other bits and pieces, I left  two framed  photographic prints, the patchwork hanging,  and the textile picture of Runcorn which I mentioned last week as not having been photographed.    Well, it’s too late now – I got a phone call to let me know it had been sold along with one of the photos – I’m delighted  but it will teach me that, before I display anything,  I have to have photographed it first.

 On Tuesday evening, Liz and 1I were lucky enough to be included in a small group who were given some insight into how to use a loom by a very experienced weaver – Alison.   She had made some beautiful scarves and garments and she was very helpful and patient with her totally inexperienced audience!   She’s agreed to come again this Tuesday and give us some more instruction.   I’m hoping to learn the correct way to put the warp thread on my loom – my first couple of attempts were not terribly successful but, owing to her input, I’ve managed to rescue one of the mistakes I made and am making progress with the scarf.
During the week I tried my hand at a technique I had wanted to try for some time – it involves using  free machine embroidery, soluble stabiliser and small pieces of organza, silk  and other fabrics to create a picture.   I decided, as spring is on the way (I hope) to use red tulips as the subject.   The result was really very satisfying and I have already mounted it on cream silk and framed it – and I’ve taken a photograph this time!
 
 
 
 




 

Also,  during a spare moment, I  made a book cover out of some acrylic felt to which I needle-felted silk, satin, muslin and yarn – that’s turned out very well too.   Should I stop now whilst I’m ahead?  Having said that, it wasn’t a totally successful week in that the studio photos, of a really great model, which I took at Camera Club on Monday are almost all much too dark!   My fault entirely, I really  should learn to slow down and look at them more carefully instead of ‘snapping away’.   
 
 
 
 
Yesterday, Liz and 3 friends joined me for a visit to the ICHF Craft and Hobby Exhibition at Event City in Manchester.   There were some very interesting stands there and lots of temptations!  I did manage, in the main, to resist buying any more ‘stuff’ other than some very heavy interfacing and some foil which I’m hoping to use to make jewellery.   Most of the exhibitors are fascinating and  are eager to chat and discuss their craft.   I enjoyed very much talking to Ruth Brown and could have spent a lot more time talking to her if we hadn’t been interrupted by a very rude lady!  Her website is well worth a look www.stonecreeksilk.co.uk .    Three of us also enjoyed a talk by Kim Thittichai – she’s always interesting to listen to and has a very easy style of delivery – I already have a couple of her books and I’m now going to sign up to her blog as well.   I hope not to get to the stage where I spend so much time reading favourite blogs that I have no time to ‘play’ – http://hot-textiles.blogspot.co.uk/    
Today was very exciting – I got a birthday present – somewhat belated – an ipod mini.   My long-suffering, knowledgeable brother in law set it up for me and it’s all systems go.      That means that I probably won’t do anything creative for ages – I’ll be far too busy exploring its capabilities  (and mine).
 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment