Saturday 16 February 2013

Wrong again!


Despite  spending time getting to know my new toy – the ipod mini, I did manage to spend  some time being creative.                   
I seem to be in the midst of some sort of needle-felting obsession at the moment, I’ve been experimenting with the embellisher and then embroidering the resultant fabric with free machining – I’ve had a whale of a time.   Most of the results have been very successful except for the last one, which has a few thin spots and even a couple of actual holes.   Not to worry, I’m intending to bond it to some fabric , interface it and then make it into a book cover.   So far,  Ive made two into sketch book covers.
I’ve also been trying, vainly, to stick all the photos and mementos  of our 2011 trip to New England into an album – they’re still all over the dining table – but at least I’ve made a start – it’s only 16 months late!
On Tuesday, Liz and I had a further ‘lesson’ from Alison , the weaver.  I now think that I will be able to warp a loom efficiently, we’ll see.   However, I have actually finished weaving my scarf and it looks fine – it hasn’t been washed to ‘set it’ yet, so I’ll photograph that eventually, too.
On Wednesday, I braved the snow to visit the ever patient Cathy www.lazy-kate.co.uk  who had a second go at teaching me to spin – I think I’ve got it!    I actually made progress and I  enjoyed it so much.   In fact, I was so fired up with enthusiasm that I bid on a spinning wheel on ebay and actually won it!   I’ll be travelling to Yorkshire in a week or so to collect it.
cob web felt scarves
On Friday, I managed to get to the Friday Felters’ meeting at Frodsham - I missed the last one because of the snow.   I was looking forward to it, especially as my friend, Annette, has joined now and we travelled together.   At this  meeting, there was a cobweb felt workshop by Beryl Woodcroft and we all made beautiful scarves.   It was a technique I had wanted to try for a long time and it was really great and my purple scarf (pictured right with all the others) is wonderfully soft and lightweight.   I’ll take a close -up  picture of it for next time I post.
This weekend, I’ve been really busy as my Operatic Society is preparing to perform Gilbert and Sullivan’s ‘The Sorcerer’ at the Epstein Theatre in Liverpool and, as I’m in charge of Wardrobe, I have been busy making bridesmaid’s posies, headdresses, and a bridal bouquet as well as the odd  try-on and alterations.   I’ve finished for the moment but who knows what the dress rehearsal will flag up!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment